Careers at OQ
WHO WE ARE
Old Quarter is proudly Australia’s only specialty coffee company sourcing, roasting and serving 100% Southeast Asian green beans direct from smallholder farmers.
Our mission is to change lives through coffee and to pioneer Southeast Asian specialty coffee in the Australian coffee industry. We showcase exceptional and rare coffees from emerging growing regions for everyone to enjoy.
We are not a cafe, we are a specialty coffee destination that is committed to quality. We focus on educating our customers and we invest in their experience. Our goal is to do more for our customers than any other business.
We’re looking for an experienced specialty coffee barista with leadership skills and excellent communication to manage our new flagship specialty coffee bar in Murwillumbah.
This is a unique opportunity for a skilled coffee professional to join our rapidly growing organisation and step into a management position, while utilising their extensive coffee knowledge to help us cement our brand as the authority on Southeast Asian specialty coffee.
The product we serve is the Venue Manager’s focus, but how the guest feels as they receive the product is just as important. We strive for the perfect extraction with a side of genuine connection.
As a Venue Manager you become a brand ambassador for Old Quarter, but more importantly, for the Southeast Asian growing regions we represent. Our venues help us to achieve our mission and growth targets by acting as a showcase to future wholesale and online customers as well as a daily experience for our community.
The right person will be inspired by our values and mission to change lives through coffee, have a demonstrated passion for coffee, and a growth mindset.
Ultimately, the venue manager will help to:
- Confidently communicate and showcase our unique coffee offering
- Maintain standards for coffee, the customer experience and presentation
- Support a (very) small team to thrive (2 person operation)
- Train & onboard staff
- Maintain systems and procedures
- Manage costs and financials
THE ROLE & BENEFITS
This is the perfect opportunity for someone who wants to pursue a career in coffee but doesn’t want competing priorities that present when working in a bustling café. This is the chance to truly do what you love in a purpose built, air conditioned, coffee focused environment. The management duties are light due to the small size of the team and targeted offering (we don’t don’t serve food, no kitchen, no waiting tables). It’s all about obsessing over the perfect extraction, building genuine connection and telling stories.
- Join a rapidly growing organisation with real career progression opportunities.
- Monday to Saturday day-time hours
- A permanent position but can be tailored to the right person
- Education, training and upskilling available from our passionate team based in Ballina
- Have the opportunity to work closely with the roasting and production team on recipe development, blends and roast profiles for multiple coffees from different origins
- Work in a purpose built, coffee focused, coffee bar and lean into what you love!
- Dedicated coffee professional
- An understanding of concepts relating to specialty coffee brewing and service, processing, varieties, and growing regions
- Be able to confidently follow specialty coffee recipes and understand all variables affecting extraction for multiple brew methods including pour over, batch brew, cold brew & espresso
- Be able to confidently dial in coffees every day to taste across filter and espresso.
- The ability and desire to self-educate
- High presentation standards
- Problem solver
- Excellent communication skills
- Run a tight ship with presentation and processes at the forefront.
- Ability to build genuine connections
HOW TO APPLY
Please include a brief cover letter and references with your resume. Applicants will be contacted on before November 30th and will be taken through a formal interview process.
We look forward to hearing from you!